Main menu:

Site search

September 2014
M T W T F S S
« Apr    

My Final Days At LEX18

It’s very bittersweet to share with everyone that I’m leaving Lexington and WLEX in a few weeks to take a job doing the sports at KXAN, the NBC affiliate in Austin, Texas.

First things first, there was absolutely no ill will in this decision. I love LEX18 and as far as I can tell, they didn’t mind having me around either. But no matter how much you enjoy a place, sometimes (particularly in this line of work) you have to go elsewhere.

I’ll be with LEX for the Kentucky Derby and for a few more days following the race before I pack up to make the move 1,070 miles to the southwest.

I grew up a Cats fan (shoutout to my mom, who is a graduate) and it was a dream come true to work in Lexington. Every time they let me in to Rupp Arena free with my press pass I still think, “You’ve got to be kidding me.” Having grown up in Nashville, I thought I knew what to expect with the BBN… but I had no idea. The passion, knowledge and sheer number of people in the fan base makes working here fun and challenging, you have to be on top of your game or you’ll get tuned out and I appreciate that.

Then there’s all the stuff I’ve had the chance to watch and cover. As far as timing goes, how lucky have I been? Good, bad and strange, I saw a little of all of it. Consider that my first night on the job VMI came in to Rupp and beat UK. Since then I saw two final four runs plus this year’s national championship, the biggest long shot to ever win the Kentucky Derby, the end of the Tennessee streak in football and a buzzer-beater to win the Boys Sweet 16, to name just a few particularly memorable moments.

No matter how you get your sports news locally, I can almost certainly assure you it’s coming from someone who is very talented and dedicated to his or her craft. Like most places, the sports media in Kentucky is its own sub-culture and I’ve learned so much working among so many talented writers, broadcasters and bloggers. The same goes for the folks at WLEX – I’m eternally thankful for their patience and friendship.

So whether you’re a fan, coworker or an LEX18 viewer, I owe you a big time thank you for the fun I’ve had the last few years.

Brent

Write a comment